EMI gaskets are used in a variety of electronic devices where EMI/RFI is an issue including communications, military electronics, and RF applications.
When it comes to manufacturing EMI gaskets, there are three different methods MAJR Products uses:
1. Flash Cutting
2. Water Jet
Each of these three manufacturing techniques have specific benefits associated with them and are best suited for a plethora of different products and materials including:
- Conductive materials
- Thermal Materials
- Thin Films
1. Flash Cutting
If the gaskets you need require thicknesses from .001” to .75” with tight tolerances MAJR utilizes the flash cutting method. The flash cutting method requires the use of a CNC machine that holds a blade in place to accurately and cleanly cut through the production material. Flash cutting results in a product with exact and precise measurements. Flash cutting also allows us to produce prototypes from CAD or PDF files.
Benefits of Flash Cutting
- Allows for many customization options.
- Can hold tolerances to .005”
- Offers the fastest production turn-around time.
- Exceptional for high volume applications.
- The best method for projects where product aesthetics are important.
- Does not cause concavity.
- Produces clean edges.
- Excellent for projects that require rapid prototyping.
- Can utilize a variety of materials with the flash cut method.
- Can be more cost-effective than jet cutting and die-cutting.
Items Typically Created via Flash Cutting
- Soft plastics
- Laminated materials
- Industrial fabrics
- Technical textiles
2. Water Jet
The water jet process of creating items, including gaskets, involves high pressure water that is forced through a small nozzle (0.010″ to 0.015″ in diameter) to produce a very precise cut of the material.
Benefits of the Water Jet Method
- Gaskets can be tightly nestled.
- Cuts are extremely accurate.
- A good method for complex and intricate parts.
- Provides an efficient use of raw materials.
- Less chance of compression distortion.
- Works well for producing prototypes and other test parts.
- A great method for short production runs.
- Very clean process because you are only using water.
Items Typically Created Via the Water Jet Method
Die-cutting is a high-speed method of using a die to shear webs of low-strength materials in order to mass produce a wide range of industrial products, including gaskets. MAJR creates a predesigned steel rule die of the item, and then uses a press to replicate the item with the chosen material.
Benefits of the Die-Cut Method
- Cost effective.
- Good for high-volume orders.
- Allows tight tolerances and accuracy.
- Ability to manufacture gasket configurations of any shape or size.
- It can handle a variety of different materials for manufacturing gaskets, including:
Items Typically Created via the Die-Cut Method
- Insulating foam
- Vehicle parts
MAJR Products Would Love To Take Care Of Your EMI Gasket Needs!
MAJR Products is an internationally recognized manufacturing leader of EMI/RFI shielding products, including gaskets. We have been serving the electronics industry by providing electromagnetic interference shielding products and solutions to some of the largest defense contractors in the country for close to 25 years.
We offer a wide variety of EMI gaskets, including:
- EMI Connector Gaskets
- Shield Seal Strip EMI Gaskets
- Wire Mesh Gaskets
- Custom Die-Cut Shielding Gaskets
- Custom Molded Gaskets
- Custom O-Ring Gaskets
- Metallized Fabric Shielding EMI Gaskets
- Fingerstock Gaskets
- Rigid Mount Frame EMI Gaskets
- Mesh Over Elastomer EMI Gaskets
To request a quote, fill out our simple form, and one of our representatives will be in touch with you shortly. You can also request samples of our many top-notch products.